Interested in accounting? William Venezio '17, accounting major and information systems minor, chose Siena mostly because of our accounting program—which by the way, is offering a really great new opportunity this fall. Now, students have the chance to earn their bachelor's and master's in accounting in just four years; you can earn your BS in three, and your MS in one. How's that for convenient?Here, William shares with us more details about his accounting experience, and why else he's happy he became a Saint.
1. The top-notch accounting program. "One of the main reasons why I chose Siena College was the amount of respect and recognition for its School of Business. Its AACSB accreditation holds faculty to high standards in teaching and research. Many of them have real world business experience and success. I also chose Siena due to its Master of Science in Accounting program. In four and a half years, I will complete my undergraduate and graduate degrees in accounting, and be eligible to sit for the CPA exam immediately after."
2. Small class sizes. "At Siena, your professors will know you personally as a student who has a unique skill set, strengths and learning style. It is much better to have somebody who knows you on a personal level write a letter of recommendation for graduate school, or be a reference for a job/internship."
3. The campus. "Siena’s campus is what really sold me. I tell prospective students that while looking at colleges, try and envision yourself on a campus for the next four years. For me, Siena is the only school where I could picture myself succeeding both academically and personally. I love the close proximity of the residence halls, academic buildings and dining halls to each other. Upon visiting, you will also see how much pride Siena has in maintaining its campus."
4. The people. "I can honestly say that I have met people who will be lifelong friends. Everybody has a high level of school spirit and enthusiasm. Siena is also very dedicated to serving others and the community around us. And yes, when you visit, you will notice that everybody holds the door open for each other. This habit comes with me off campus, and sometimes people will give me a strange look for holding the door open for so long."
5. Incredible opportunities. "The best part of all of this is seeing your hard work pay off. My education at Siena has opened so many doors for me. From my internship at General Electric Corporate Tax, to attending a conference in Baltimore and making connections, I know that Siena has provided me with the skills and knowledge necessary to achieve my professional goals. If you had told me four years ago what my future held for me, I probably would not have believed you."